Week 2: Reading Profile

I love reading but often find it difficult to make time to read because I often have so many other things happening in my life, but who doesn't? I'm the type that will either fall in love with a book and finish it within a weekend or if I am less interested, it might take me a solid month to get through something. I tend to read more in the summer because I like to sit outside and read and I'm also fortunate to be able to spend many beach days reading on the shore of Lake Michigan. There are so many books out there that I don't believe anyone should feel the pressure to finish a book that they don't like; break up and move on!

In recent years I have been more and more drawn to memoirs and non-fiction because I have found that truth often is stranger than fiction! Some of my favorites include Educated, The Glass Castle, Crying in H-Mart, and I'm Glad My Mom Died. When I'm in the mood for fiction, I often gravitate towards mysteries, thrillers, or what a coworker once described as "books with lonely main characters," like The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. I also like books from any category that are atmospheric and make me feel like I am actually there. I would like to take this semester as an opportunity and a challenge to read outside of my comfort zone and as such plan to read a romance, sci-fi, and western. I also plan to read a non-fiction and a literary fiction as a break within my comfort zone. Last semester I took Materials for Youth and read a lot of really good YA novels and graphic novels and while I don't read those as often, they still have a fond place in my heart! It's nice to take a break from the adult reading world and to be a little nostalgic when reading. I only just read Are You There God, It's Me Margaret for the first time and the importance of that book would have been lost on me as an 11 year old reader. I pre-ordered Phoebe's Diary and it was not only delightful but remembering my own teenage angst when reading it made me feel a lot more appreciative and less embarrassed of my formative years.

I love the feeling of a physical book when reading and I especially prefer to read paperback books because they are less heavy than hardback books. I like listening to audiobooks as well and just need to build up the habit of listening to them during my lunch break at work instead of "doom scrolling" on my phone.


Comments

  1. Howdy, Haley!
    Woohoo! I love a quitter, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. If the book is not to your liking, it's okay to put it down and move on. Now, if I could just follow my own advice...
    As a lover of YA and New Adult, I feel that your tastes may lend themselves to those categories! YA is having an absolute renaissance right now, and there are so many different genres to choose from, and some books that really don't have a single definable genre, they're just plain good. Not to start an RA interview in an RA class, but still! It may be worth it to revisit the YA shelf!
    I adore "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret". It shaped my adolescent existence, and I recommend it to child and adult readers alike to this day. I also have "Dark Archives" on my TBR, but haven't gotten to it yet. It sounds fascinating. I see a couple banned books on your list as well! Banned books Week is my favorite week of the year, and I always put up a display for it. What was your favorite book on the list this past year, other than "Flamer"? Mine was "Gender Queer", and I am currently reading "A Court of Mist and Fury", albeit completely by coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! I love a quitter! And I have FINALLY gotten to the point where I will quit a book in the first few chapters if I really am not feeling it. It took way too many years to get myself to that point 😂 There really are way too many books on my TBR list to be wasting time on a book that I don't love.

      Delete
    2. It's definitely not easy being a quitter, its new for me, and takes a lot of practice! If you had a bad latte would you keep going to that coffee shop? No! Find a new favorite!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Haley!

    I also have a main character type that I am drawn to. I'm a sucker for the little orphan girl getting adopted by a nice family. My favorite book from childhood is Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only recently gotten to the point where I can comfortably quit reading books I'm not enjoying. I used to put myself into the worst reading slumps imaginable trying to claw my way through boring books. I also loved I'm Glad My Mom Died. I think I finished that in a weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect I'm the coworker that mentioned lonely characters! I mention it in my reader's profile, too! Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret was my reference book when I was about 12--my best friend and I read it over and over. The movie that just came out was a very good adaptation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenni! Yes, that was you! I wouldn't say that all of these characters are "only" lonely, but their loneliness is often what leads them to become wise, insightful, and kind.

      Delete
  5. Hi Haley!
    I am also a big fan of books that really engross you. I love when a book really takes you to a new place. I also really enjoyed I'm Glad my Mom Died. I finished that book in a day. I just could not put it down. I love that you are treating the five genres as a way to put yourself outside of your comfort zone. That is similar to what I am doing with my five picks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Guest List and enjoyed it. I do love books by Grady Hendrix so I might have to read Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires. I just love his dark humor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts