Week 3: Prompt Response

 Part I 

  1. 1. “Hi! So you just finished Circus of the Damned? The next book is The Lunatic Cafe. Would you like me to put that on hold for you?” 

  1. 2. “If you want something that has similar use of language and more interconnected stories, I recommend The History of Bees by Maja Lund. Of course, this is set against the backdrop of climate crisis, so if you want something that is a little more distracting, you can’t go wrong with Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens! This one also has a bit of mystery and a lot of nature talk. It has been on the best seller list for so long for a reason!” 

  1. 3. “Well if you are wanting historical Japan the first thing that of course comes to mind is Memoirs of a Geisha, that is set around World War 2. If you want something that takes place in the 19th century, I recommend The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery. It’s  a coming of age story with a bit of a mystery!” 

  1. 4. “It looks like Well-Schooled in Murder is part of the Inspector Lynley Series, so if you are wanting something that follows the same characters, I would recommend the most recent book Something to Hide. If you want books that have similar setting-murders that take place at schools- then some other recent releases include Ruth Ware’s The It Girl and Alex Michaelides The Maidens. Personally, I liked The Maidens more.” 

  1. 5. “Those are two very important works in the zombie canon! If you think he might be interested in another graphic novel, there is a graphic novelization of The Last of Us! These zombies are also caused by a virus, but with a twist!” 

  1. 6. “One of my favorite literary book-to-movie titles is The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. The book is nearly 800 pages, so the movie is much less of a time commitment. If you want something a little more upbeat, I recommend Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris!” 

  1. 7. “If you want a fast-paced thriller without anything ‘spicy’ I think Mary Higgins Clark might be the author for you!” 


Part II 

When I am looking for books for myself, I generally go to the new releases shelf first! I look for familiar authors or even just book covers and titles that catch my eye. Personally, I think it is perfectly ok to judge a book by its cover since that is most of the marketing and opportunity that books have to grab their reader. Occasionally I’ll know about a highly anticipated release like a celebrity memoir and put it on hold as soon as I can. Sometimes a book has been popular for such a long time that I finally break down and want to see what all the commotion is about- hence the reason I am finally reading Lessons in Chemistry. I don’t intentionally avoid titles because they are popular, but sometimes that is just how it works out! Usually when I am late to read a popular title I find that I love it and wish I had read it sooner. I discover other titles through Book Tok, from the Book of the Month subscription social media page, or some other social media trend or marketing. Overall, I feel like I don’t put much time into researching my next read and generally just go with the flow; I get all my books from the library so there isn’t a financial consequence if I don’t like a book after I’ve taken it home. When people recommend books or authors to me, I keep a note in my phone and add the most appealing titles on GoodReads for later! 






Comments

  1. I love judging a book by it's cover! I chose Pineapple Street for my book club to read this month purely because I liked the pretty cover, and we lucked out with it being a great book to discuss as well. I don't only choose books with pretty covers, but there are plenty of romance books that have turned me away because I just can't bring myself to read a book with a picture of a shirtless man on the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby,

      Don't count a good, old-fashioned "bodice-ripper" out! I've noticed a trend of older books with Fabio-looking men in kilts on the covers are getting a revamp recently, creating a less obvious cover. It's the same book and same saucy content, but the cover designers do an excellent job of disguising a spicy read to the public eye. I still love to find the older covers, though. They are sometimes downright hilarious.

      Delete
  2. Hello Haley!
    I really enjoyed reading your responses in the actual phrasing you would present to a real library user. I think, in school, we get terribly caught up with the professional formality of being a librarian and forget that RA often feels like a casual conversation between old friends. It's just that one of them has some excellent RA tools at their disposal! I thought your suggestion of The Goldfinch was excellent, especially given how popular it was when it first came out. (Totally off topic, but you should look into why they never made a movie out of Donna Tartt's first novel, The Secret History. It is spooooky.) I was intrigued by your recommendations for Well-Schooled in Murder. You took it a completely different route, focusing on the action and setting of the book, whereas I focused on the tone. We got two completely different sets of recommendations! That just shows how personalized and unique each RA interview can be. I also love shopping by cover alone. Oddly enough, it rarely lets me down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia! Yes, actual RA interactions are usually pretty casual and I think sometimes people are looking for a connection with another human more so than they are looking for you to help them find their next most favorite book ever. Our differing answers also point out that two people may love the same book but for totally different reasons!

      Delete
  3. Haley,

    I tend to judge a book by the spine! Would it catch my eye in a sea of books on the library shelves? Is the title intriguing? Do I need to at least pull it off the shelf and read the synopsis to satisfy my curiosity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Many genres also seem to have some common buzzwords or titles lengths that also give you an idea of what it is from the spine alone!

      Delete
  4. Hi Haley!

    When I'm browsing for books at the library or at a bookstore, the cover is one of the first things that draws me in. I don't think it's bad to judge a book by its cover—I think it can actually help! As a mood reader, I'm often attracted to a book by the mood its cover exudes, and then I'll pick it up and read its description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgan! I've never heard the term "mood reader" before but I think it describes me exactly! Stealing that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts