Week 6: Prompt Response

    

    Hello everyone, love is in the air! Since I annotated a romance book and Valentine's Day is this week, I would like to pitch a coordinating passive activity and display to promote romance titles in my library! There are so many types of romance novels, but one thing that seems to come up often both subtly and not so subtly when discussing romance titles is the "spice" level. I've had patrons say, "I like sweet romance books that are very plot driven and end with a kiss or a marriage," as well as patrons who do not hide the fact that they like "the more spice, the better!" With that in mind my display would include books on a scale from sweet to spicy- Lessons in Chemistry and Amish romance on the sweet side ramping up to titles like Twisted Love and Tessa Bailey's Fix Her Up on the far end. I would recommend that we mark this clearly with a sign that explains what is on the table and how to use the ratings!
    As for the passive activity, my library has a large white board that we often write a question of the day. I would ask "who is your literary or movie crush?" and provide little paper hearts for patrons to write their answer to stick on the white board. I think many people will like this passive activity since it is becoming more and more acceptable to gush about one's literary and movie crushes on the internet and real life. Also, including movie characters and not just book characters will appeal to more people as well as start discussions about book to movie titles!

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, I love the idea of a 'romance book spice-o-meter'!!!! Personally, as a fan of both sides of the spice spectrum, I would immediately be drawn to this display! I didn't recognize either of the spicier side titles you mentioned... Is Twisted Love by Ana Huang? (I want to make sure I'm looking up the correct title.)

    I also think your passive activity idea is a great one! Not just a creative way to get patron input, but a way to potentially find your own new literary/media crushes lol

    P.S. I'm an adoring fan of Mr. Darcy, so "You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love" the header photo for your post :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think with how popular Booktok has gotten and how many Goodreads reviewers will include their own spice meters, this is a great idea! I've seen social media posts about book stores doing this a lot and I think it definitely works. In my own experience, I'm much more likely to look at a display and see what that says for spice levels rather than go up to someone and ask.

    Also, I agree with Maryanne, great choice with Mr. Darcy, the ultimate literary romance interest. He would 100% be on the literary crush board repeatedly (as he deserves).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about pairing the romance titles with cookbooks or recipes or hot sauces to notate spice level too, there are so many options! I have yet to get into spicy books myself, but I think they could be a great escape (especially given this frigid weather in northern Indiana this time of year)! And yes, Darcy is the OG literary crush and I'm torn about which movie version I like more, given that Firth is also adorable in Mamma Mia!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVE the image you used for this post! Pride and Prejudice is my favorite classic, and the 2005 movie is what I affectionately call my "night night" movie because I can turn it on, turn my mind off, and fall asleep to my favorite romance. The spice meter is a wonderful idea! Would this be in conjunction with a "Blind Date with a Book" display or would the covers be visible for patrons to see?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of having a display of romance novels categorized by "spice" level is great. I often find that "spice" is often a deciding factor on whether or not someone wants to read a specific romance novel. Your idea for a passive activity is also great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I have seen a spice-o-meter that used chili peppers to indicate spiciness somewhere before, and I thought it was awesome haha. Your ideas here are great, and I especially love the question of the day about literary/movie crushes. I would bet that would get TONS of patron engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are both such fun ideas and generated a lot of chatter in the comments! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts