Week 11: Prompt Response

    


    When I think about how EBooks and audiobooks affect appeal factors, I think about the parallels between streaming music and buying a CD or vinyl album. I mostly stream all my music on Spotify now, save for a few albums that I adore, so I've "purchased" them on iTunes. While I still get to enjoy listening to these albums ad free, if I had purchased a physical CD I would also have been treated to an album liner and all the notes and art contained therein. I loved buying CDs as a teen because this bonus material felt like a treat in itself; I could hold onto this small booklet while listening to the music, could flip the pages, and stare at the pictures. I like streaming music, but I personally feel like I am missing out on something by not having a physical object as manifestation of the media that I am enjoying.

    Similarly, audiobooks and EBooks affect appeal factors in that they also usually do not have a physical object. My library still purchases physical CD audiobooks, but we have more items available as downloadable/streaming audiobooks. I know some patrons really like the feeling of switching out CDs for audiobooks on long road trips because it allows them to measure their progress in a tactile way. I myself am still bound to physical books because I like the feeling on know how far along in the book I am by the physical indication of how many pages are left in my hand. Also, without the ability to see how thick a book is, it can be difficult to truly understand how long it may take you to read a book. Those who are attracted to heavy science fiction or fantasy titles may miss the feeling of a heavy brick of a book in their hands. Concurrently, some readers may like reading EBooks because it is easier for them to read any book without physical limitations other than the device itself. Dunneback (2011) asks, "what if the patron has arthritis and can't hold a heavy device for an extended period of time?" (pg. 327). Some patrons may find that holding a small device is easier than holding a large book, though I know some of my patrons have had trouble with EBooks on their iPad because that device is heavier than their Kindle. Dunneback also mentions that changing the size of text can affect the rate at which readers are turning pages or if they perceive text as being a sign of "snappy or quick-witted characters" (2011, pg. 328). With the ability to change text size, the reader does alter the author's intention, but ultimately this could be an accessibility feature for many people.

    EBooks and audiobooks have different appeal factors for different readers and I think that is a good thing because at the end of the day it gets people to enjoy book and reading. While there are many factors that dictate the medium in which people enjoy books, I believe that most people choose the method which best fits their individual needs and abilities. I still love the look and feel of physical books, but as I get older I recognize that I need to take better care of my eyes and this something means getting the large print version of a book. I imagine this will also mean that one day I will want to use an ereader of some kind so that I can make the text even larger than that of a large print book. These accessibility options can be the difference between reading a book or not.


References

Dunneback, K. (2011) E-books and Readers' Advisory. Reference & User Services Quarterly, 50(4), 325-329.

Licht, M. (2012). Mrs. Duffee Seated on a Striped Sofa, Reading Her Kindle, After Mary Cassatt [digital]. https://www.flickr.com/photos/notionscapital/4826939037/.




Comments

  1. "At the end of the day, it gets people to enjoy books and reading." Yes, that's exactly what it's all about. I love that we have all these options for whatever our readers need.

    I really enjoyed your comparison of ebooks/audiobooks to CDs. My family was more of a "put CDs in a carrying case" type of household, so I did not really get to experience that flipping through the booklet experience you did while listening. I'll have to hunt down some of my old CDs and see what I can find within them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You summed it up perfectly with " at the end of the day it gets people to enjoy book and reading". I know many patrons who are visually impaired. Some have macular degenerations, others with stigmatisms, and one that is completely blind. I am in awe of them because despite it all, they've never stopped reading. Different formats have allowed them the freedom to continue to enjoy literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! "at the end of the day it gets people to enjoy books and reading" having all of the different formats available now makes reading more accessible to all. I'm with you on missing having something tangible though - I often go back and fourth for this reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like your classmates said you summed it up perfectly! Great insight and wonderful response!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts