Week 13: Prompt Response


   (image: photo from my undergraduate graduation, a time when I was a freshly minted "beginner adult")

 The belief that young adult and new adult novels are not "legitimate" forms of fiction is an idea that is classist at it's core and one that can prevent people from reading at all. Many of my classmates stopped being interested in reading when their peers, parents, or even their teachers criticized their choice of reading material. As librarians it is our duty to help every book find its reader, make everyone feel welcome in the library, and encourage literacy at all stages (we have many other duties too, but these three are probably why many of us got into the profession). As librarians there are many ways that we can work to make sure that we are supporting YA and graphic novel titles and readers and that includes:
  • Promoting these books by including them in displays, books lists, book clubs, and social media posts. 
  • Selecting these titles as a choice for system-wide literary events, like a "One Book" event or author talk.
  • Reading (or at least familiarizing) oneself with popular titles and author in these genres so that you can promote them to people who have not read in this genre before.
    Everyone has internal book bias, but as librarians we need to double check that bias everyday when we speak to patrons at work. I didn't read many graphic novels until I worked in the library, but I've since discovered that they can often be a quick "palette cleanser" for me between longer non-fiction titles. Now that I have more insight into the genre, I like to promote graphic novels in every book display because it may help a reluctant reader of any age get back into reading and honing their literacy skills. Double checking bias about new adult and ya fiction is also important because a patron could perceive our disinterest in the subject matter as disinterest in anyone who fits the new adult age range and their unique stories. I still identify with much of the subject matter in these types of stories and I think I would have found immense comfort in them if I had been reading them sooner, when I was fresh out of college, living on my own, and navigating my first "big girl" job. Also, the language in these books might be a big appeal factor to some as it might not be as dense and challenging as the language in a "classic" novel. Practicing reading is often seen as embarrassing and shameful as an adult, but we can help end that stigma by promoting these titles.
    And for those that don't like the new adult fiction? Well, they don't have to read something they don't like and we can help find them something that better suits their needs and interest without putting others down! 

Comments

  1. Haley! I love the photo you used to illustrate the new adult time of life! I also liked your list of ways to support and promote NA books that goes beyond a separate shelving section. I want to go create a display right now!! And finally, I think your thought about the language of NA as an appeal factor is also insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also didn't read graphic novels until I starting working in the library! Then I took over in collection development for J and Tween graphic novels, so I started reading them so I could feel more confident in my recommendations and purchases. I've found several that I really enjoyed and have even started exploring the general adult graphic novels as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Internal book bias is real! See my post--it's presumptuous! I have recently acknowledged my bias in choosing books for our branch book club: I tend to lean heavily towards "literary" selections. My group is all retirees, so NA isn't really their bag (we've disliked younger narrators in previous books), but the same kind of snobbery is going on. In the bigger picture, I oughtn't be deeming books "worthy" of the club's attention; they like less dense reads than I do. Except lately, with my years-long bout of "reader's block" plus doing readings for this class, I'm warming to more mainstream stuff. Still don't like NA when I come across it (Colleen Hoover)--I prefer teen books to NA. Well, the more literary teen books, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your honesty Jenni! Its good to try something new, even if that new thing is still pretty close to the old thing!

      Delete
  4. I love reading graphic novels as "palette cleansers" as well! I think making sure to add graphic novels to displays is important too because some adults might be looking for something quick and easy to read in between larger novels. There might also be adults who are reluctant or infrequent readers who might appreciate graphic novels but aren't sure where to start.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts